The Bunbury General Cemetery was established on this current site in 1914 with the first burial taking place in the middle of that year. As was common early that century, the cemetery was laid out in a “Union Jack” pattern.
The cemetery was operated by the Bunbury Roads Board, now known as the Bunbury City Council.
In 1972 a Lawn Cemetery was opened next to the General Cemetery providing reticulated grass areas and limited monumental burials.
During the mid 1980’s, headstones from the long closed Bunbury Pioneer Park Cemetery were relocated to the Cemetery and put on display for all to visit.
The Bunbury Crematorium was built during 1975-76 and was opened for business on 12th June 1977. Memorial gardens were begun and these continue to develop and expand to this day.
Up until 30th June 1992 the Cemetery and Crematorium was operated by the Bunbury City Council. After several years of community consultation and steering committee work, 1st July 1992 saw the appointment of an independent Bunbury Cemetery Board. This Board continues to operate these facilities to this date.